Once in a while, I remember an amazing recipe that I used to make weekly, and then somehow forgot about. This is one of them, and I'm really not sure how I could have ever forgotten this one. Easy, delicious, and family approved, it's one that will for sure come back to being a staple in our weekly dinner menu.
No, your eyes are not deceiving you. There is cheese in this casserole. Also tortillas! This one is such a great craving satisfier and only 234 calories a serving. Pretty awesome! This is one I also one I used to make for families who needed a meal, not to mention, its perfect for the freezer. Casseroles are just wonderful things that make life a little more convenient.
Onto the recipe!
Nutritional Facts: Serves 6; Amount per Serving - Calories: 234; Carbs: 30g; Protein- 22g; Fat: 3g
What You Need:
300g chicken breasts, this is equivalent to 2-large boneless, skinless chicken breast (you could also use 1lb lean, ground turkey breast)
1/2 cup onions, chopped
1/2 tsp garlic, minced
1 tsp paprika
15oz can Reduced Sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
1 tomato, diced
1 small can of diced, mild green chiles
1 cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
1/2 cup yellow corn
1/4 cup low fat cottage cheese
1/4 tsp garlic powder
4 corn tortillas
10oz can red enchilada sauce
1/2 cup reduced fat, shredded cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350º
2. Coat a 9in square baking pan with nonstick baking spray
3. In large, nonstick pan, cook the chicken, onions, minced garlic and paprika over medium-high heat, shredding as it cooks
4. When chicken is cooked and shredded, stir in black beans, tomato and green chiles. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. In a medium sized bowl, stir together Greek yogurt, corn, cottage cheese and garlic powder.
6. Place 2 corn tortillas on the bottom of the baking dish. They can be overlapping or not touching, or you can break them up to fit the bottom of the pan to size.
7. Top with half the chicken mixture, half the yogurt mixture, half the can of enchilada sauce and half of the shredded cheese.
8. Repeat layers
9. Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes, until heated through
10. Remove from oven and let sit for about 10 minutes
If you enjoy this one, make sure you pass on the yumminess to a friend!