Who doesn't LOVE pizza? If you know someone who doesn't like pizza, you should probably distance yourself from that person, you don't need that kind of negativity in your life. Just kidding (kind of). Anyways, I am all about that healthy alternative. I believe for all the fattening, yummy things out there, there is a way to make them HEALTHY, while still just as yummy of course.
After I posted this picture on my Instagram a while back, I got over 20 requests for the recipe. I am all about sharing delicious, healthy recipes. Especially if it means I can get people to eat their veggies.
Here we go!
Zucchini Pizza Crust
Calories per serving: 110; Fat: 6g; Carbs: 3g; Protein: 10g
3 medium-large zuchinnis, grated with a cheese grater
1 large egg or 2 small ones
1 1/2 cups grated parmesan cheese (I used grated parmesan and romano. Romano cheese is great for digestion.)
PREHEAT OVEN TO 450
1. After grating the zucchinis, sprinkle about 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt over them, stir, and let sit for a few minutes.
2. Drain excess water from grated zucchini. I used a cheese cloth, but you can put zuchinni in a colander and press a bowl down, or between two plates, whatever is convenient for you. just try to drain as much water as you can. The more water you drain, the better the crust will hold together.
3. Mix in cheese and egg(s)
4. Place your batter on a piece of wax or parchment paper and either press it out to 1/2 inch thick, or use a roller to roll it out, in the shape of a pizza of course!
5. Line a cookie sheet with foil, spray with a little nonstick spray if you're not using nonstick foil, and transfer pizza crust to cookie sheet. I just quickly flipped wax paper over onto the foil and it worked perfect.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until crust is starting to turn golden brown. While it bakes, perfect time to saute any toppings you want to put on your pizza, or to even make this great homemade pizza sauce!
Calories per serving: 51; Fat: 2g; Carbs: 7g; Protein: 1g
4-5 large tomatoes, pureed. (I just chopped up my tomatoes into good sized chunks and popped them in my ninja for about a minute. Perfect tomato sauce consistency!)
1 Tbs fresh minced garlic
1 Tbs olive oil
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp fennel seeds
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (or more if you like spicy)
1/2 Tbs honey or maple syrup
1/2 Tbs red wine vinegar
1. In a medium sized pot, Saute minced garlic in olive oil until fragrant
2. Add pureed tomatoes
3. Add all other ingredients EXCEPT RED WINE VINEGAR
4. Cook until sauce begins to bubble, then reduce heat to simmer
5. Cover and let simmer for 20 minutes - 1 hour, stirring occasionally. However long fits into your schedule.
6. Remove from heat and add red wine vinegar, stir really well.
Putting it all together!
Once your crust comes out of the oven, top with pizza sauce, sauteed veggies, meat of your choice and I like to use low-fat mozzarella cheese.
Place back in the oven for 10 minutes at 450.
After those 10 minutes were up, I switched my oven to broil for 5 minutes so I could get the cheese to that beautiful golden brown color.